Thursday, 13 September 2007

Two months on - books, birthdays and bulges.


It's September 07 and after an initial flurry of jobs, now comes the time to go out and actually chase some work. The series of books that I was illustrating blossomed from two to six and kept me busy for a number of weeks. These were on wildly varying subjects; everything from 'Horse and Pony Care' to 'Barbeques' and 'Freelance Writing.' It was a great experience working with a publisher and I'm told there's another series of books to come in 2008.
After this, work slowed up and so I entered the world of networking. This involves going to meetings full of business people to whom you attempt to sell your wares. It's scary stuff but it works. At my very first one, I got a commission for a portrait and at my second I got a company Christmas card job and a series of illustrations for an import/export website.
The other thing I've been working on is promotion for my birthday party. After hiring a room, I was asked how I planned to decorate the tables. Well why not a few cartoons on the theme of reaching the dreaded age that we do not mention? Above is one of twelve which will hang suspended from large helium balloons. That's if it's not too heavy; if it is I'll just have to draw the cake a little smaller.

No comments:

People say be careful what you wish for.
I only ever wanted to scribble and eat chocolate all day.
Now I do.
Let's see what happens.