Thursday, 2 August 2007

One month on - a flood of work



It's been one month since I became a freelance illustrator and designer. What's changed? Everything.
I'd always wanted to see my illustrations in books and in the past month I've illustrated two books which are now being sent to China to be printed. Deadlines were tight and things weren't helped by the fact that our house came close to flooding this month. We escaped without damage to the house but it was close. The nearest house to be wrecked by floodwater was just four doors away.

Another big change in my life was getting my scooter. The Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) was stressful but I passed, despite getting lost when I was taken out on the road for the first time!

Within two weeks of getting the bike I set off for Rugby for a freelance commission - teaching cartooning at a social function. Whilst the seminar itself went well, the journey there and back was a nightmare. I rode for 4 hours each way when it should have taken 2 at most because I got lost in every town I rode through. Never again.

For the cartooning seminar, I drew a special cartoon and uploaded it to a merchandising site. The event was put on by the East Midlands regional branch of Mensa UK, the high I.Q. society. The cartoon was called 'The Society of Evil Geniuses - East Midlands Division' and they seemed to like it as it is now selling on t-shirts and bags.

No comments:

People say be careful what you wish for.
I only ever wanted to scribble and eat chocolate all day.
Now I do.
Let's see what happens.